Thursday 29 March 2012

Beauty patches

I have had some fun collecting pictures with women wearing beauty patches from the 17th and 18th century and I thought you may enjoy that too.

Source: bewinter.ru via Elisa on Pinterest

The madam luring the innocent young thing from the countryside is, of course, covered in patches.
When it comes to actual paintings, I have found very few where women actually wear patches. I suspect that is because you often wore them to hide imperfections and why advertise to the world that you had that, when the artist could give you perfect skin? Anyway, Boucher painted this rather adorable picture of a woman applying beaty patches.
Often, though, it's hard to decide if a patch was actually painted in or if it is a later addition by Photoshop... I tend to think the latter, but it looks nice anyway.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...