Friday 10 June 2011

The masquerade gowns


I have a bit of a thing when it comes to masquerade gowns in the 18th century. They are so much fun! So far there have been three and a fourth is planned for October.


The first one I made, in 2002, was inspired by this painting.



For reasons totally unknown to me now, I opted for red rather than pink but apart from that I’m still very pleased with how it turned out. This was the first gown that really fitted and I loved the look of it, but as with all my clothes from that time I had very little money and the fabric is dead dino, again. It was only worn once, but perhaps I will make another one in silk, one of these days.



My second one was once again inspired by a painting.



I like it, but it’s still a work in progress. The collar needs to be lined and there should be more decorations.



That last one is the one I like the most. I went as a deer, but I wanted a deer as an 18th century woman would interpret it. The gown was already done, but I made this little antler hat and I really like the effect.

2 comments:

Madame Berg said...

Again, I love your deer! Masquerade gowns are so much fun. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the Kalmar ball!

Isis said...

You are too kind, Madame Berg! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...